Denkirch is the first published short story by David Drake, originally appearing in the 1967 horror anthology Travellers by Night edited by August Derleth. It is described as a Lovecraft pastiche and established Drake's early career in horror and weird fiction before he became famous for military science fiction.
Excerpt: "Now I sleep only by day or when the sky is cloudy, and when the stars gleam bright in the heavens I walk little back streets, avoiding other people, for I do not care to be reminded of my humanity and my inevitable fate. My acquaintances think me odd, but they would not understand if I told them that on dear nights the stars speak to me, and that if I did not walk I would go mad. So I walk the lonely streets, and the echoing cadence of my stride helps to muffle the rhythmic whispers, but still my mind is forced back to Denkirch, who proved Man’s unique place in the universe."
Host - M.P. Pellicer
www.MPPellicer.com
SUPPORT VIA DONATION
Buy Me A Coffee - https://www.buymeacoffee.com/Marlene11
Miami Ghost Chronicles: www.MiamiGhostChronicles.com
Nightshade Diary: www.NightshadeDiary.com
Stories of the Supernatural: www.StoriesoftheSupernatural.info
Eerie News - www.Eerie.News
Stranger Than Fiction Stories: www.storiesofthesupernatural.info/strangerthanfiction
LISTEN TO ALL MY PODCASTS www.EeriePodcast.com
MY BOOKS:
Amazon: http://amazon.com/author/marlenepardo...
Goodreads:
/ 17113386.marlene_pardo_pellicer
SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER ON SUBSTACK:
https://marlenepardopellicer.substack...
You can find me on major video and podcast platforms, just look for MP Pellicer or Miami Ghost Chronicles.
Hypnosis DIY - https://www.hypnosis-diy.com
Music - Pixabay.com, Purple-Planet.com
Narration always by a human, no A.I.
Sunday, May 10, 2026
Denkirch | Horror Fiction | Nightshade Diary Podcast
Popular
-
Real videos capturing terrifying encounters. From mysterious strangers appearing out of nowhere to bizarre incidents that remain unexplain...
-
Midnight at the Crossroads, is the witching hour when deals are struck with that tall, dark man standing at the fork in the road. Find out w...
-
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST Dragon the Book is a short story by David Drake. A wizard pursues a book held in the arms of a rival, long dead. But...
-
In a foreshadowing of things to come, in early March 1918, it was reported by the Navy that Willie J. Nettles, coxswain on the U.S.S. Cyclop...
-
A deserted leper colony, convent and hospital is slowly being reclaimed by the jungles on Chacachacare Island, which lies close to Trinidad,...
-
In 2005, Ha "Jade" Smith and her daughter Anita were murdered. Was it a case of superstition or greed? Tanya Nelson, 52, believed ...
-
Many people like to think that as people head towards death, especially if they can foresee it, either through illness or age, they try to m...
-
Allan Pacheco is a paranormal investigator, author and historian who leads private ghost and history tours in Santa Fe, New Mexico. His exte...
